- How was the variety created?
- Were any innovative technologies used?
- Was a unique approach used in breeding or development?
Impact on the industry
- How has the variety performed?
- Has it saved the end-user money or enhanced profits?
- Does it have special traits that allow it to flourish in specific locations (weather resistant, flood resistant or drought resistant)?
- Is the product filling a void (on-farm, nationally or internationally) such as a nutrition deficiency or food shortage?
Presence throughout the value chain
- Was the variety used to develop other cultivars?
- Can the variety be used in multiple end-use markets?
- Can any by-products created in using this variety be used for other products?
- How close is the product to its end-use when it leaves the farmer’s gate? (Does the farmer have costs such as drying, cleaning, or processing before sale?)
- How many years can this variety be expected to produce?
- Does the variety need additional inputs such as fertilizer, pesticides or herbicides to be productive?
- How sustainable has the variety been compared with competitor’s products?
- What market is the variety filling?
- How is the variety marketed?
- Are there specific aspects or properties that make it more marketable?
- How does this variety rank compared to competitors?