2012/2013 Seed of the Year West – Scholarship Winner Announced

February 25, 2013 / Saskatoon

2012/2013 Seed of the Year West – Scholarship Winner Announced [Download as PDF]

Seed of the Year – West was proud to announce CDC Bethune Flax, as the winner of Seed of the
Year in 2012. Part of the western award is a $4000 scholarship awarded to a student enrolled in a
western Canadian university currently completing a masters or Ph.D in plant breeding or genetics.
The Seed of the Year – West Committee is pleased to announce that Marley Boyce is this year’s
Seed of the Year scholarship winner.

Marley is in her first year of graduate studies at the University of Manitoba. Marley’s research
involves the identification, characterization and genetic mapping of a new leaf rust resistance gene
in spring wheat. “My hope is to identify a new and useful source of resistance to be used in future
breeding efforts,” said Marley. “I am honored to have been awarded this scholarship and to
represent the next generation of plant breeders dedicated to this invaluable cause.”

As the breeder responsible for CDC Bethune, Dr. Gord Rowland was asked to select the scholarship
winner. “I was very impressed with Marley’s strong academic record, as well she has very good
practical experience in plant breeding through her summer employment,” said Dr. Rowland. “Marley
is a very deserving scholarship winner.”

Dr. Rowland will be given the Seed of the Year Award during the luncheon at the Flax Research
Workshop in Saskatoon February 26, 2013.

Seed of the Year is designed to provide recognition to publicly-developed varieties that have made a
significant contribution to the economy, agriculture, and the Canadian public in general. Although the
name, Seed of the Year indicates the contribution in a particular year the program is much broader
reaching and considers total lifetime achievement and contribution over time. It is important to
recognize the value of the contributions of our public plant breeding programs, as well as encourage
the entry of new plant breeders to the industry.

Seed of the Year would like to acknowledge and thanks its sponsors: Agriculture and Agri-Food
Canada, Alberta Barley Commission, Canterra Seeds, Cargill, Parrish & Heimbecker Limited,
Canadian Seed Growers Association, Viterra, Richardson International, SeCan and Western Grains
Research Foundation.

For more information on Seed of the Year, as well as application forms for next year please visit
www.seedoftheyear.ca/west/

-30-

For further information, contact:

Mike Espeseth
Western Grains Research Foundation
306-975-0365

Or

Todd Hyra
SeCan, Western Business Manager
204-489-9126